Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Design

The Faculty was established by merging the Faculty of Mechanics and Mechatronics and the Faculty of Design and Technologies in 2014.
Today Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Design is an important scientific and educational department of KTU, with developed base of science and studies. 

Studentų st. 56
LT–51424, Kaunas
tel. 8 (37) 300 401
e-mail midf@ktu.lt

fmed.ktu.edu  

 
 
 
 

Faculty of Mechanics started its activities on 9 December 1947. It consisted of Departments of Descriptive Geometry, Peat Industry, Machinery, Wood Technologies, Metal Technologies, Textile Technologies, Theoretical Mechanics, Transportation Machines and Heat Engines.

At the end of 1950, after reorganization of Kaunas State University, Kaunas Polytechnic Institute (KPI, from 1974 – Kaunas Antanas Sniečkus Polytechnic Institute) was established. Its Faculty of Mechanics consisted of Departments of Descriptive Geometry, Mechanical Appliances for Food Industry, Machinery Production Technologies, Metal Technologies, Heat engines, Textile Technologies and Theoretical Mechanics. In 1953 first groups of evening section (mechanics) were admitted to the institute. Later they developed to the Evening Faculty, which continued to be administered by the Faculty of Mechanics.

In 1955 a number of faculty‘s students already exceeded a thousand. In 1957 students of the following specialties were admitted to the faculty: machinery production technologies, metal cutting machines and tools (groups in Lithuanian and Russian); industrial thermal energy; road transport; machines and mechanisms for ships; machines for peat industry; construction and road machinery; mechanical technologies of fibrous materials (divided into primary processing of flax, spinning, knitwear, weaving); wood technologies.

Regional Economic Soviet, established in LSSR (state organization, which regulated Lithuanian industry and construction in 1957–1965) began intense establishment of factories for machinery and devices, which needed many qualified engineers. Textile industry and country‘s energy sector were developing rapidly. Number of students increased, thus in the autumn of 1962 Faculty of Mechanics had about 2500 students. Therefore on 1 April 1962 Faculties of Light Industry and Machinery Production were established, leaving fewer students at the Faculty of Mechanics.

Faculty expanded rapidly, there was a lack of premises, lectures were even taught at the auditorium of Art Museum. Therefore, its development required a lot of energy, attempts and ingenuity of administration. Especially distinguished was the first Dean of Faculty prof. L. Kumpikas, who was titled a Father of Lithuanian Machinery Producers. In 1964, when Lithuanian University of Agriculture moved to the newly constructed campus in Noreikiškės, faculty settled in its premises (Kęstučio g. 27).

Faculty took over preparation of engineers of specialties of machinery production technologies, metal cutting machines and tools from Faculty of Mechanics, increased the number of graduates. Each year there were graduating specialists of science of metals and casting; first such groups were formed in 1961. During the period of Faculty’s activities, it had 100-130 permanent lecturers, number of students increased to 1800.

In 1990 there were 900 students and 70 lecturers working at the Faculty. Faculty included Laboratory of Complex Use of Peat and two departmental laboratories: Packing Machines and Industrial Thermal Equipment, which had up to 100 employees.

On 1 September 1993 Machinery Production Faculty was merged with Faculty of Mechanics, which retained the title of Faculty of Mechanics.

Faculty has prepared more than 16,5 thousand mechanical engineers of various specialties, who manage companies, majority of them are well-known Lithuanian scientists and political figures. They made a huge contribution to creation of Lithuanian industry, development of science, education and preparation of youth for their future activities.

Among the faculty‘s graduates there are scientists, who are well-known in Lithuania and abroad. These are academics of Lithuanian Academy of Sciences professors R. Bansevičius,  K. Ragulskis, V. Ostaševičius, A. Fedaravičius, J.Sapragonas, and M.Daunys.

Prominent academic scientists, who worked at the Faculty of Mechanics, include professors J. Indriūnas, A. Žukauskas, K. Vasiliauskas, S. Kolupaila, professors A. Briedelis, Č. Jakimavičius, L. Kumpikas, A. Matukonis, V. Mošinskis, assoc. prof. N. Milenskis and many others.

On 12 October 2005 another significant event happened at the faculty: evaluation of achievements of specialists of Faculty of Mechanics in scientific and educational areas of mechatronics and a great prospect for mechatronics studies for development of country‘s economy and international cooperation, Faculty of Mechanics was renamed Faculty of Mechanics and Mechatronics.

In 2007 Faculty of Mechanics and Mechatronics celebrated its 60th anniversary. In 2014, after KTU reorganization programme, the faculty was renamed Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Design.

 

 

About Faculty

Science
Faculty‘s employees, students and doctoral students actively participate in scientific work solving relevant issues of Lithuanian economy and contribute to creation of its strategy in the areas of nuclear energy, mechanical engineering and mechatronics, transport, defence technologies, etc. and implementation of international projects.

Studies
Research, performed at the Faculty, helps to develop qualification of lecturers and scientific employees, acquire new knowledge and transfer it to the studying youth, get additional funds for preparation of specialists and expand teaching base.

Faculty's Student Union website >>